Friday, 25 September 2026

Thornwick Bay Carvan Park Hoilday.

This week I have been on holiday with my niece, Vanessa in a huge caravan with all mod. cons. at Haven Holiday Park - Thornwick Bay.

The weather was really good for late September.

Monday 21st September 2026.

Nice and sunny today.

Got here at 4 ish and settled in - went to the Viking Inn for tea.

Tuesday 22nd September - 2026.

Nice and sunny today.

Flamborough Head.

......

We drove down to park in the Flamborough Head car park where the dreaded cash-less carpark machines sat looming over us.

Fortunately Vanessa is 'with it' so she downloaded the "MIPermit" app. and managed to pay for parking via Apple Pay - all clever stuff (Or not very clever if you are me!).

Many senior people were baffled or annoyed (or a mixture of both) with this new arrangement. With many saying - let's go somehwhere else.

I wonder how many different carpark payment apps are in existence?

.....

We enjoyed a butty for lunch and a walk along the cliffs.

Thousands of Starling were on lines.

Seals. Gannets. Linnets. Meadow Pipits.

Little Egret. Oystercatcher. Kestrel.

Guillemot. Cormorant.

Tree Sparrows on the turquoise feeding bucket here.

There was a couple of "feeding frenzy" areas, way out to sea that someone said were caused by Dolphin rounding up fish into a large shoal?

Thornwick Bay Bird Hide.

(Not much juice in the pond)

Teal. 1 Snipe.

Greylag Geese. Linnet. 

Singing Chiffchaff.

House Martins.

Pied Wagtail.

Wednesday 23rd September 2026.

A dull morning here and I decided to have a walk down to the bird hide.

Thornwick Bay Bird Hide.

I had the place to myself and the cold wind was blowing through the open viewing 'flaps' brrrrr. but the weather improved nicely as the day progressed.

Much the same as yesterday but a Dunlin did drop in.

A bit later many very distant calling Geese, which I wrongly  assumed to be Pink Feet circled and landed on the pond - 184 Greylag, give or take a gander or two.

Later on we walked to the north side cliff path and turned right along the cliff to meet the road at "The Viking Inn".

Gannets, a Kestrel and over 100 Rock Dove were seen along the walk.

Someone dragged me inside and I was handed a "Marry me glass".

Funny that  - the letters on the glass - when messed about with, read the same as its contents "Sammy's Lager".

Thornwick Bay Bird Hide.

A late evening look at the bird hide had the addition of 2 Wigeon Duck and the Dunlin was present.

Leaving to walk back to the caravan I met 6 local birders on a serious hunt for a reported possible sighting of a scarce "Rufous Tailed Robin".

I joined in the hunt (which meant walking back and forth over 100 yds or so) but no one saw the bird and at 19:10 we left -  by now, it was quite a cold dark evening.

Thursday 24th September, 2026.

Another sunny day after a chilly night.

Today we drove to Filey and enjoyed some relaxed shopping.

We walked along the sea front and I did a short birding stint along the beach to Filey Brigg.

The place was packed, given this great weather.

Short Filey Birding Walk.

2 Sanderlings were on Filey beach, everything else was distant on Filey Brigg rocks.

Thornwick Bay Bird Hide.

Late evening I headed down to the bird hide where there were 3 Snipe a Dunlin the usual Teal and Linnet and a bonus of a Corn Bunting

Not a mega serious birding outing but a really enjoyable few days away on the beautiful East Yorkshire Coast.






























FILEY.















No comments:

Post a Comment