Friday 31 October 2014

Black Edge Lane - TMR

12:45


I managed a drive up to the farm shop nr. Black Edge Lane for a walk up to TMR and back. I cannot get very close to the Res. on the footpath so apologies for the photos.

Birds:-

Red Grouse 6.
Mallard C75 with a white duck.

Large flock of Lapwing appeared over the corner of the Res. but were soon out of sight.

Kestrel, Thrush in a tree nr the Res. house – sounded like a Mistle Thrush to me, Wren.

C20 Canada Geese flying over.

Some Lapwing and Gulls on TMR shore.

BHG, Common, LBBG not sure if there were any others.

Spent ages getting a poor photo of an elusive duck and it turned out to be a Mallard when I looked at in on the computer.




Today's Post








Sums up the following long distance shots.

I've included some far off photos just in case there is a mega in there!





Soil Hill from TMR


I've no idea what the 4 larger birds are.








Earlier …..

IS IT ME?

I could not escape shopping any longer.
Sue needed some retail therapy with a trip to Sainsburys, Dunelm Mill and Morrisons all planned, but first a trip to ye olde Post Office for a passport photo.

So we went to the post office.

“Get me a large 1st class stamp please while I have this photo done” she said.
I noticed a sign near the P.O. counter:-
“For stamps please use the newspaper kiosk”.
So I go and queue at the newspaper kiosk.

“A large 1st class stamp please” I say.
“That’s 62p” the lady replies. “Sorry – no, I mean a 1st class stamp for a large envelope”

“Yes this is a large 1st class stamp” the lady confirms.
“Yes it is a large stamp (and it was) – but it’s for normal 1st class postage.
" I need a 1st class stamp for a big envelope” I reiterate.

“Oh! I’ll have to ask ’im” she replies.

“OY – Is this stamp Ok for sending a large envelope by 1st class post?” she hollers as she points to 'im.

“No – he’ll need a large 1st class stamp” he confirms.

The lady looks my way and says “Sorry I’ve no large 1st class stamps. You’ll have to see ‘im”.

“ok” I say “lets forget the 1st class stuff. Can I just have a book of 6 second class stamps please?”

“Normally yes – but not today. I should have seen ‘im earlier and stocked up, because I’ve run out – so no you’ll have to see ‘im”……


Meanwhile back at the passport photo booth.

Sue, with the gammy leg, has hopped about adjusting the booth stool to the correct height, inserted the £3.50 and digested the lady’s automated verbal instructions and voila clunk click down drop the photos.

“Look at these” Sue implores “I’ve come out all bright pink!”.

“You’ll have to see ‘im” I venture.

He says “Those photos are fine for the passport office”.

“But they don’t look at all like me!” Sue complains. (She’s getting annoyed).

“Anyway” he says “I don’t have a key for the photo machine so you’ll have to come back later”.

“I’ve got a gammy leg – oh! Forget it – keep the rotten photos – we’ll go elsewhere” Sue complains.

Actually Sue” I comment “You now have quite a resemblance to the photos”.

That seemed to be the wrong thing to say at this point.

On leaving the shop I looked back at the door and noticed a sign

“Monty Python Cheese Emporium” 

no, actually it did say “Post Office”


2 comments:

  1. You see now why e mails are so popular. Nothings simple anymore.
    Good trip out today, the 5 larger birds look like Teal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bri. for the I.D.
    Sorry the photos are poor - maybe another birder was up there today and some better pics might turn up.
    John

    ReplyDelete