Monday 15 December 2014

Reservoir Run – Great Northern Diver – Lifer


I was on the reservoir run today when I received 2 texts in quick succession from the Queensbury boys telling me of a sighting by DJS of a Great Northern Diver on Mixenden Res.
Cheers for the texts folks.

Mixenden.

I curtailed my Ponden snoop and headed off to Mixenden.
It was nice to put a face to a name with my first meeting with DJS who was there with NK.
Some good views were had through DJS’s scope and I managed a snap or two of the Great Northern Diver which was the first time I had seen this species.
The weather, which had been wet and cold earlier, improved as we had a walk around the Res.

Earlier:-

Leeshaw 10:30

Cold SW breeze.

3 Cormorant, usual Mallard and small gull contingent,4 Pheasant.
35 Greylag Geese came in to settle on the water while I was there.
Also on the water a Moorhen. A Reed Bunting landed very close but didn’t stay for a snap.
Red Grouse were calling from the moor.
7 Fieldfare flew over and 2 Collard Dove were feeding at the end of the lane on my exit.
Looking at the photo’s later I believe I’ve got 2 pr of Goosander.

Lower Laithe.

Usual small gulls here with just a Pheasant and Mistle Thrush.

Ponden.

Heavy rain / sleet for a while.
4 Pheasant, a few Mallard, usual small gulls,
M. Goldeneye, Jay, Robin came for lunch, Dunnock.

Leeming 13:40

Back at Leeming (following the Mixenden lifer).
A good break in the weather with some watery sunshine.

Usual small gulls & Mallards.
A very attractive white(ish) duck which I take is a Mallard Hybrid.
Cormorant, Robin, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Grey Heron.
M. Goosander.
2 dippers were chasing each other down the stream at the north end.

Back home a large flock of Goldfinch were in the tree opposite the house.

A day that will take some beating!

Leeshaw:


2 pr Goosander ? - a long way off.


y




Fieldfare.

Lower Laithe.



I though this was a Pheasant at first not sure now - could be a Kestrel 


Ponden:




Mixenden:





Leeming:








Dipper Bridge



Today's Post

Home:



4 comments:

  1. Well done with the Diver John,Great pictures, & a good selection of other birds on your tour,Goldeneyes are always good to see in the Winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Danny.
    Just glad the Diver was still around when I got to Mixenden.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got it John and some stonking photos. You were right with the Goosanders and Kestrel. A good count of Greylag at Leeshaw, best I could find yesterday was 1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bri.
    Only sorry it wasn't yesterday & you could have got your 'small' camera on it!
    Good to see Goosanders in a few different locations.
    Thanks again for the text.

    ReplyDelete