Sunday 29 March 2015

Penance on Soil Hill.

17:15

Stricken with a bout of insanity I decided on a bracing walk up and around Soil Hill. I’d had a good day so far and must have committed a few sins so, I thought a bit of penance would be good for the soul.
Soil Hill held all the seasons up there today, well, except spring and er…. summer and er … autumn. A nice gale force WNW and a few showers with a smattering of hail kept me on my toes and made keeping specs, bins & camera difficult to keep dry.

Near the top of the bridleway, from our house, a Pied Wagtail was battling the elements and feeding in the fields then 16 Fieldfare came over and a couple of House Sparrow were in the bushes near to the Taylor Lane exit.

I put some Mallard jock down on the path and had a good scan about.
A couple of Carrion Crow seemed to be enjoying the wind, soaring high into the sky and then suddenly dropping down again.

 It was nice to see the return of Lapwing with a show of 5.

Also about up there 3 or 4 Meadow Pipit trying to keep low, out of sight, in the grass. A couple of Skylark took to the air avoiding me, and attempted a song but decide that they needed some bigger speakers to contend with the wind noise, and, they suddenly stopped singing.

I flushed a pr. of Partridge again, I think they were Grey but can’t be sure – they were over the hill and away in a breath.
2 Mallard made me smile, they were hunkered down together  in the rut made by a large tractor – the perfect wind break.

On the west bank the big bullying wind pushed me about a while. 
3 Mallard were sat on the very top of the fields looking down over Pottery Cottage.
A good scan around did not produce any Wheatear ( I had decided earlier there would be one on Ned Hill Track).

On the return journey I went down Taylor Lane, the fields opposite Grey Horse Farm nearly always produce something. Today it was  C10 Meadow Pipit and a fly over of 9 Fieldfare.

On Bradshaw Lane just a Pied Wagtail over > Raggalds, a Woodpigeon and 12 Starling on the Pylon wires.


I actually enjoyed the yomp believe it or not!

Some windswept & rainswept poor photos for your delectation and delight.













2 comments:

  1. Winter Thrushes will soon be gone now. Not a birder friendly weekend, hope Easters better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have thought they would have been gone by now - must be the cold weather.
    Tough weekend for you Bri.
    No doubt the sun will be shining tomorrow to add insult to injury!
    Hope your week goes well.
    John

    ReplyDelete