Wednesday 4 March 2015

Ryburn Reservior / Soil Hill

Ryburn Reservior 12:30 – 13:30

We had a drive out to Ryburn reservoir this afternoon – a beautiful place. We sat in the car for a while to allow some heavy wet stuff to blow over, then the sun came out and we had a pleasant hour having a nosey about.

The temperature reached the dizzying heights of 9 degrees here today.
A Grey Heron was perched on a tree branch at the side of the water. The water was disappointing with just a single Mallard and BHG. A walk along the permissive path next to the Res. brought us the call of a GSW and after a good wait we were rewarded with not one but two GSW flying from a nearby tree – no pictures sadly.
A Nuthatch was calling and there were plenty of Great Tits feeding under the trees. Also here a Coal Tit.

I heard the call of Oystercatcher and within a few minutes it honoured us with a fly past over the Res.
Other birds seen, Robin, Wren & Rook.

Soil Hill 15:00 – 15:45

Feeling a bit lazy, I took the car to Soil Hill this afternoon.

The snow melt was in full swing with water running down the track into the road creating a nice pond. As I parked up and opened the door slightly a rally driver appeared in my rear view mirror, doing a ton. Before I could close the door it deposited most of the snow melt onto the car and through the door all over me. Just goes to show, it don’t have to be raining to get wet on Soil Hill.

A skylark was singing as I got out of the car but I did not see or hear it on Soil Hill.
I put some bird seed down and had a good walk about for 45 mins.
It was quite windy and coolish up here ,and things were their usual quiet self,  with nothing stirring as I strolled about.


The only birds seen were the ‘resident’ Common Gull in the Res. field and a Kestrel hovering nearby.
There were c9 Canada Geese near the pond by Coal Lane stables but noting on the NK pond or in the fields nearby as far as I could see. 
Just a Wren seen on a wall at the bottom of Taylor lane – no Little Owl today.







Just manged to catch the Oystercatcher on its fly past



Spot the Wren







2 comments: