Sunday 11 October 2015

Super evening stroll – Sandy Gallops

It was a day of two halves today.

With Sue getting fed up with me for stopping every few minutes (to bird hunt) during our recent hikes I left bins and camera at home this morning.
We enjoyed a good walk around the perimeter of Norland Moor.
I guess it’s about 3 miles. Afterwards we were rewarded with some free apples from Sue’s sister Ruth’s garden so Sue could make some chutney.
This turned out well for me because Sue needed a trip to the Kelham farm shop to get some “chutney stuff” and she dropped me off at Sandy Gallops (Black Edge Lane - Denholme) on the way.

16:25 – 18:15

I enjoyed a good 2 hours looking for Owl, mainly, but didn’t see any!

I headed up Sandy Gallops and took the first left turn after the 5 bar aluminium gate to cross 2 fields to a good bridleway. I’ve seen Little Owl here before ,but not today.

There were c10 Meadow Pipit on walls and flitting about, but a good scan revealed a Stonechat on a fence post nearby.

Later there were 2 Stonechat on the fence, both Males I believe.

I turned right along the bridleway but soon left it via a small gate on the left.

A few years ago I saw a large Owl hereabouts.

The path here crosses 2 fields, the second field being exceedingly boggy – even with the dry weather of late. This boggy field has revealed Snipe in the past, but a good squelch about revealed nowt.

This path reaches another good bridleway and as I turned right I noticed a ‘non-crow’ type bird landing on a wall with the crows – a Sparrowhawk.

The bird was well in the distance so the pics aren’t great.

Also here 30 smaller birds flew over (Linnet I suspect) they were calling a bit like Goldfinch, quite widely spread apart and had an undulating flight.

The bridleway path reached an imposing gate where my path turns off to the left to cross 2 fields, passing a ruin, before reaching the main Ogden bridleway - Back Lane.
From here I headed across fields to exit opposite Coal Lane .

It was getting dark and as the gulls were headed off to roost I headed home, keeping to the road / lanes.

I went past Soil Hill on Perseverance Road but did not venture off the road.
A Pheasant, Mistle Thrush, possible Song Thrush, not sure because of the distance , some small gulls and a few Woodpigeon were all that I saw on the way home.


There is something special about being out and about on the moor when it’s coming dusk, a really enjoyable jaunt with a couple of good spots to boot.

As I write this drivel there is a distinct smell of chutney in the air.









Possible Linnet?


Snipe country








A different bird to the one above it - possible Song Thrush but maybe wishful thinking!



No comments:

Post a Comment