Tuesday 21 February 2017

Coach Road - Lightcliffe

13:00 - 14:30

With a weather forecast of rain this aft. I decided to get a bit lower down and had a run down to Lightcliffe.

The outing began well with a Green Woodpecker calling , early on, during the walk. The bird called 5 times over a period of 15 minutes, but it remained at the far side of the golf course and I failed to pick it out via the calls.

The usual birds were about but not as prolific as previous visits.
Usual Tits with Greenfinch, Jay, 2 Song Thrush and 2 Mistle Thrush.
Nuthatch were calling frequently, with 3 heard and one seen from a distance.

At the bottom of the main track, I had a good scan about for Lesser Pecker without any joy.


I had a walk, left, along the road to the trees, where there were lots of chattering birds.

There were a mixture of Redwing and Brambling.
The birds were high in the trees and amazingly difficult to see.
There were at least 10 Brambling.

At the bottom of the track, on the return journey, a second Green Woodpecker called and a Great Spotted Woodpecker came into the trees near me.

The GSW called and started drumming and it was soon joined by a second GSW. 
They both flew off , not allowing me a photo, towards the roadside trees. 
The trees that I had just left a few minutes before.

Not a bad outing, although the light was poor and I was disappointed that I did not get a picture of any of , potentially, 4 Woodpeckers!!

The rain started to fall as I arrived back at the car - a big storm is due to hit us on Thursday , apparently.


Even Robin Day was elusive today











At last - a half decent Brambling pic.







No comments:

Post a Comment