Sunday 17 September 2017

√White Holme Reservoir and Ilkley


White Holme:

11:00 - 13:30

My first opportunity to have a visit to White Holme reservoir presented itself this morning with Sue taking Abigail swimming.

It's be a week of 'pipers'.

Tuesday and Wednesday it was sand 'piper' when we were decorating the bathroom.

Today as I looked at the Sunday 'Pipers' I was reminded of the Baird's Sandpiper at White Holme.

I did not hold out much hope of seeing it with reports of the bird being absent earlier, but its a nice place for a walk.

A good journey from home, only 34 minutes from Bradshaw to White Holme.

I took the Pennine Way and was at the res. in 40 minutes.
Another 30 minutes to get to the top (west?) side after a bit of a cock-up trying to go around the north? (boggy) side and ending up re-tracing my steps.

A butty stop and a reverse journey brought with it c10 Meadow Pipit with zilch on the water (except for a Mallard seen later on)

Pleasing to bump into DF, just as I was leaving - enjoyed the natter Dave.

Dave mention that a Baird's Sandpiper had been seen near Doncaster - probably the same one.

The outing was saved from the scrap heap by a beauty of a Wheatear as I got back to the White House Inn.

Ilkley.

18:25 - till dusk.


Just back home and off again to take Ken, Sue's dad out for tea at Ilkley.

I had a very late 40 minutes walk about after tea and I manged to get a half decent photo of a Dipper and a calling Nuthatch.

A Small Duck flew past, quickly, overhead.
It had a fast wing beat and a longish bulky head - didn't get owt on it alas.

White Holme:















Sheep know 100 ways to kill themselves








Ilkley:





Wainhouse Tower on the way back from Ken's


No comments:

Post a Comment