Tuesday 14 August 2018

Ogden Mystery and Leeming Reervoir (earlier)

Ogden

16:00 - 17:30(ish).

I arrived at Ogden Car Park from Leeming Res. and decided to take a look at Back Lane.
3 Curlew types were just visible on the field edge so I walked up Back Lane to take a closer look.
One bird had a 'straighter' bill - possibly my imagination?
The big drizzle decided to pay me a call so the photos of the 6 Curlew aint great.

I approached Ogden Water and a Wader, leaving the Black Headed Gulls, gave me 4 seconds to decide it's ID!
(Wish I'd gone directly to the water instead of Back Lane  - might have got a pic!).
I thought Common Sandpiper immediately (a good bird for me at Ogden) and then the doubts.... it looked 'thinner', it had more 'white' in the wing markings (not a Green one then!).
It flew north with the shore line, but was immediately gobbled up by the foliage.

Thinking it's a Mega - they all are, aren't they - I spent the next 90 minutes scanning the complete shoreline of Ogden Water. 
Through the open areas and through the trees and - I can now say that Ogden Water has a LOT of shoreline.
Guess what? - No Wader seen again, So.. it's a Common Sand!!

Other Birds:-

2 Cormorant, c60 Black Headed Gull.
A good count of Lesser Black-backed Gull, around 30.
Herring Gull. Possibly a Yellow Legged Gull - by no means sure. The eyeball is  YLG but the picture points to a LBBG
a 'few' Common Gull - difficult to separate from Black Headed when asleep, with their backs to you.
c20 Canada Geese and not a lot else.

Still, the Wader hunt kept me focused for a while!

Leeming (earlier).

13:30 - 15:45

A North West breeze with heavy drizzle for the first half and dry for the second half.
A reasonable outing today. I like Leeming, in the rain, it keeps people at bay (bah humbug).

I had a very pleasant chat with a Queensbury, fishing type gent who always has his bins with him when he's fishing.
He told me that Green Woodpecker had bred successfully below Roper Lane and also Kestrel had, had some breeding success nearby also.

Birds:-

A Common Sandpiper flushed immediately I arrived at the water's edge.
It took ages but I eventually found a Pr. of Common Sandpiper on the south water's edge.
One of the birds didn't BOB like the other?

Others:

2 House Martin, 'double figure' Swallow.
Mallards, a few looking pristine.
1 Lesser Black-backed Gull.
Heron, 2 Grey Wagtail.
Tufted Duck, 5 Pied Wagtail.
2 Pheasant, c6 Long Tailed Tit.
Many Goldfinch on Thistles.
1 Black Headed Gull.
Cormorant.
A Great Spotted Woodpecker called.
A few Meadow Pipit completed an enjoyable outing.

Leeming:-















Stile: Not for thickleggeduns!






Common sandpiper - distant alas:-



Ogden:













Curlews leaving in the rain.
The video is extremely poor alas.






No comments:

Post a Comment