Monday 17 August 2020

Hollingworth Lake - Pectoral Sandpiper Twitch

10:45 - 14:30

I had a drive out to Hollingworth Lake this morning, hoping to see the Pectoral Sandpiper, and hoping that the fog from last night would remain, and keep the bird grounded.
A mega rare bird and a lifer for me so … worth a shot I decided.
The fog had cleared, mostly at home, but it reformed at Blackstone Edge reservoir, only to clear as I crested the hill and descended down the hill to the lake.

I soon  met with a Manchester birder as we left the car park and as he had a scope , he scoped the SE end as I scanned with the bins from the roadside.
As we watched, 2 other birders approached and informed us that the bird had flushed at 9:30 with a lone Ringed Plover and the lapwing flock. The Lapwing flock returned to the lake but the other 2 Waders did not, and they had not been seen since.
We walked along to the bird hide where the Manchester birder soon left and I met up with another local birder called Dave.

6 or so Grey Wagtail were seen here today and many Pied Wagtail, but no sign of a Yellow Wagtail, though one had been reported.

After scanning from the hide we had a good walk about and ended up at a flooded area west of the lake.
On the way here we eyeballed a Common Redstart which was my first one this year.
Also here a Great Spotted Woodpecker calling and a mega distant bird that left the tree top to catch flies, and return again.
Too distant to say if it was a Spotted Flycatcher though.
Dave left for home here and I sat on a wall and ate me buttties.

Back at the lake, the sun came out and it became very popular with families strolling about and very warm with my wet weather gear on!

A few Teal  and 5 Heron were seen with Moorhen.
The usual Lapwings and Gull species seen on the way back to the car as far as I could tell from the distance.
So... no lifer today but a really enjoyable few hours.






3 Photos at mega distant.
Middle one shows some potential for 
Spotted Flycatcher.
The other 2 could well be Robin.












No comments:

Post a Comment