Friday 26 February 2021

Cromwell Bottom (Firecrest Dip)

I had another try for the Cromwell Bottom Firecrest this afternoon.

I parked by the fishing ponds and, with the canal path mega busy, opted for a seriously muddy trudge along the river bank.

The path does improve nicely further on.

I did not look at the feeding area today.

Later I met a lady along the path and she asked me what kind of camera I had - a Nikon P900 I said.

To that she replied "You want to trade that thing in and get a real camera - a Sony RXIV".

I've had a look on the interweb and they are just shy of £1500.

I'll probably buy 2.

Birds:

The 'usual' plentiful birds down here as usual.

Some of the birds seen:-

9 Goosander, 2 Moorhen, 2 Buzzard.

Canada Goose, Jay, Nuthatch.

Bullfinch, 9 Heron, Grey Wagtail.

3 Goldcrest was as near as I got to the fiery one.

Lesser Black-backed Gull viewed on the Ski Lake through a small peephole in the thick hedge.

2 Cormorant.

A Woodpecker called from near the weir / 2 bridge area.

A 2nd Woodpecker was drumming on the canal near the take away cafĂ© area.

I spent a long time trying to catch the drumming on video and managed to catch it's shortest 'drum' ever!

 - both probably Great Spotted Woodpecker.

A Herring Gull was nr. The Halifax Parish Church this a.m.

I picked up DJS's way distant Pinkies this morning after a text from him.

I pointed the camera in the general direction and actually got 'em - I've had to' auto contrast' the photo to see them!


Shortest Drum!


Pinkies












2 comments:

  1. 83 pinks John - as I just got around to checking the camera shots. That drumming sounds interesting ????. Need to see it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Wood P. was on the other side of the canal far back in the trees.
    I'm glad the drumming can be heard -on the video - it's so short.
    Thks for the Pinky text - they are always special to see.
    John

    ReplyDelete