Wednesday 10 August 2022

Lesser Whitethroat Twitch - Denholme Velvets Area - Soil Hill last night

A late evening walk up to Soil Hill, along the main track and back and a short walk along Ned Hill track was plagued with flying ants alas.

Good to meet up with Ken on the way home at the bottom of Taylor Lane.

We stopped to chat, but not for  long, the ants took an instant liking to Kens dapper apparel , especially his cap, which was covered in flying ants within seconds  - we soon moved along!!

Missed DJB's TEN Grey Partridge (it's one of those years I guess).

2 Skylark and a Meadow Pipit on the top.

Kestrel. 

Good numbers of both Goldfinch and Linnet - Tylor Lane top.

A guy stopped his car to chat as I walked back on Percy Rd.

He asked if I was here to photo the 'big' moon, he was trying to align its arrival to coincide with the position with Emley mast.

The moon was a splendid sight, as I sat in the garden until dark.

Earlier:

'Swarms' of Gulls were circling around our house, coming quite low at times

Hard to estimate how many Gulls were here but I've never seen so many Gulls here before - I guess they were feeding on the flying ants.

Denholme Velvets:

I had a morning drive to park near Denholme Velvets and take the bridleway south of Foreside Lane to the Abattoir.

I also checked Foreside Lane for a few hundred yards before the heat got to me.

Lesser Whitethroat Twitch:

Parking on Taylor Lane on my way home I called at the Koi Carp area to check for the Lesser Whitethroat - a real Calderdale mega found by DJB and LNK this morning.

As luck would have it both Daniel and Lia were just leaving and we returned to the spot to see if it would re-appear.

After a bit they both left and I remained for a short while, until the sun was too hot to handle with no shade here.

No sign of the Lesser W just a bird in flight probably a  'Common' Whitethroat was all I could muster.

Birds:

2 Kestrel, 23 (14 - 5 - 4) Pheasant.

2 Reed Bunting. c20 Linnet.

2 Red Legged Partridge.

Meadow Pipit, House Sparrow,

6 Swallow.

3 Stonechat on Foreside Lane.

Weasel or Stoat - black tip to tail indicates that its a Stoat?






Big Moon Last Evening

South of Foreside Lane Area:


Stoat ?








Lesser Whitethroat Twitch.
Probably a Whitethroat though.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment