Friday 2 December 2022

Bradshaw - Ogden circular

Sunny in Bradshaw early on but the mist in Halifax looked as if it would rise up and spoil the job.

I risked going up to Soil Hill and I was fortunate to stay in the sunshine throughout the longish outing.

The valleys to the north of soil hill were bathed in thick mist.

A really great day for a birding walk, one day in 2022 I'm going to get good at this birding malarkey and actually see something extra special!

Another day where birds were had to come by...very still conditions ....nothing much moving in the sky or around Ogden circuit. 

Still an enjoyable outing.

Soil Hill:

A Little Owl called from NW - near Soil Hill End farm but I did not eyeball it.

A Skylark flushed from the very top - very late for a Skylark here I guess.

I did get a distant photo of the bird but I doubt it will help with the ID.

A solitary Lapwing flushed from the top as well.

A Pied Wagtail called as it passed by and a Moorhen was on the distant, small west side pond down in the valley. 

The Moorhen photo shows some blue in it which I think is a trick of the light.

A small flock of Common Gulls were in the lower west side fields.

(Not  bad for Soil Hill I suppose).

Ogden:

A Pheasant was on Back Lane.

A Great Spotted Woodpecker called from the trees W of the promenade before I caught its undulating flight ,as it flew east.

The usual Gulls here as far as I could tell.

Very, very quiet around the circuit with the odd Blackbird and Chaffinch and the usual Tit species.

2 Drake Teal flushed from the NE edge of the drink as soon as I eyeballed them.

They soon landed again though, always a pleasing sight Teal.

Ogden to Home:

Kestrel.

At least 10 Rook with Jackdaws  in the fields after Crabtree Hall Farm.

Pheasant.

A faint call from a Green Woodpecker came from the Oats Royd area.

As I was taking my boots off, presumably the same Pecker, called loudly from the trees opposite our house, before flying West over me 'ed!


Looking South towards Pule Hill (Ringby Top) Swalesmoor.
From near Soil Hill.


Lapwing.


Skylark


Moorhen



















No comments:

Post a Comment