Saturday 3 August 2024

Filey and Bridlington

Hi Peeps - hope you haven't missed me toooooo much.

We enjoyed a few days with Abi at the East Coast of Yorkshire this week.

The weather started off scorching (Mon Tue Wed) breaking down big style in the early hours of Thursday morning with torrential rain. 

After lunch Thursday the sun came out hot again.

We mostly did 'holiday stuff' but I did get a couple or three short birding outings here and there.

Tuesday evening and Wednesday evening I managed to have a quick squint along Filey Brigg.

The tide was 'unfavourable' both outings. miles off,  with quite a strong breeze on Wednesday.

Thursday night and Friday night were spent at South Cliff Caravan Park Bridlington.

This park was rammed to the brim and very, very noisy with the school holidays.

Too noisy for us old farts and even Abi wasn't impressed so we will give this site a miss in future. 

Weather was really good here and some good waves helped Abi have fun with her bodyboard.

Birds:-

The regulars seen at Filey Brigg / Carr Naze.

My 1st visit to Bridlington harbour was a waste of time with the tide well in.

I fared a bit better the second visit, arriving as the tide was half way along the mud.

I had a really relaxing and enjoyable hour or so just watching the mud slowly disappear, hoping for a scarce (for me anyway) Wader to join the Turnstone and Redshank.

One Redshank stood out with slightly lighter plumage but I believe it was a Redshank.

Filey Brigg / Carr Naze.

Gannet, Oystercatcher, Guillemot, Fulmar, Cormorant.

Fulmar Chick.

Kittiwake, Herring Gull, Black Headed Gull, Great Black-backed Gull.

Potential Med. Gull but only potentially!!! 

(Think the bill is the wrong colour for

the age I think the bird is).

Sand Martin, Swallow, Swift.

Meadow Pipit, Stonechat, Pied Wagtail, Whitethroat,

An amazing sight (for me anyway) was c150 Common Scoter together on the sea.

(Buzzard and Red Kite along the A64).

Bridlington Harbour:

Enjoyable.

21 Turnstone.

8 Redshank.

Bridlington Caravan Park.

Good few Pied Wagtail.

Pheasant.

This morning (Saturday) as we were getting ready to leave I heard the unmissable

song of a Yellowhammer.

I had a traipse around and did locate the bird in the bins perched high on some brown soil stuff.

It was obscured by metal fencing and many Ragwort plants.

Of course when I got nearer to snap it - it flew off.

I Hung about a bit ... no sign.. got back to the truck.. it called.... trudged back again

 it stopped calling... no sign ... back to the truck .. it called again... trudged back again... no song and no sign!

You get the picture don't you.

Well! I B....Y didn't.

After 5 attempts I realised I would not make it into the birders hall of fame again this year.

Pub Quiz.

Where in London is the ceremony of the keys held every night.

A. The Tower of London

B. Buckingham Palace

C. Ten Downing Street

D. Houses of Parliament.

Answer after the photos.

Filey:



Common Scoter





Whitethroat.




Smart Gull??



Fulmar Chick





Juv. Stonechat.




Speculative Med Gull !!!



Great Black-backed Gull



Guillemot


Kittiwake

Bridlington:



Should have gone to Spec- savers


Light Coloured Redshank









Light Coloured Juv. Pied Wagtail.


Pub Quiz Answer:

A. The Tower of London





No comments:

Post a Comment