Saturday, 12 September 2026

Ringstone Reservoir - Barkisland

16:30 - 17:15

I had a visit to White Windows Care Home this afternoon and later on I took the opportunity to have a squint at Ringstone Reservoir.

It was very windy and I did get clobbered a bit by a couple of showers but with the right gear on it was ok.

Not a lot happening early on with the 'resident' Great Crested Grebe on the water and little else.

I then saw a very pale long-ish legged Wader way off at the north end of the west side bathing,  that looked like a Knot.

It was quite confiding but I did not get too close so as not to flush it in case any other birder turned up. Anyway I did get a good photograph using the Nikon P950's huge zoom.

On a sad note there was a large dead bird half way along on the water's edge , below the wall.

Perhaps a Heron? not sure.

I've had a pretty poor birding year so far - maybe this will be the turning point.

Birds:-

KNOT.

2 Mallard.

Great Crested Grebe.

3 Pied Wagtail.

c105 Canada Geese.

Moorhen.

Small contingent of Gulls way over on the NE side.

Still quite a bit of shoreline.












1 comment: